Monday, March 24, 2008

Sea-Monkey Orgies

George at Sea-Monkey HQ shared this inquiry with me:

Hey, my name is Nancy, and I recently got some sea-monkeys. They started mating. Which I turned red face after about a week and a half....noticing they were still attached. My question to you is can they mate with multiples???? The two that was attached...or I say is attached is now adding the 2nd male to the mix. Now I have three attached to each other!!!! Is this normal?? If not what do I do? Thanks in advance for letting me know.

and my reply:


Nancy,
Ha ha. Great letter.
I won't pass judgement as to whether it's "normal" or not, but I see it in my Sea-Monkey tanks, every time.
My curiosity got the better of me and a bit of regrettable research on google (yes, with images) revealed that deer, dogs, and just about every other critter on the planet end up in similar predicaments. When you consider that the male who gets the female has often "earned" that right by kicking a few butts it is quite amusing that another male should jump in just as soon as the alpha male is in a vulnerable position.
On the bright side, your Sea-Monkeys are happy and healthy enough to be doing what healthy, happy animals do. Congratulations.
Sincerely,
Keith

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have seen me trying to explain the "threesome" we observed to my five year old daughter!

KLJ said...

Ha ha. Your Sea-Monkeys put you in a spot.

Anonymous said...

And this is the answer I was looking for! Thanks again, Google! And you, KLJ, for maintaining such a comprehensive sea monkey site.